By Todd Mares – Peerless-AV
Each and every year we have our eyes peeled for neat AV during the holiday season. From digital signage inside retail stores to aiding in travel to the greatest holiday light displays, AV literally lights up the holiday season.
While all of us aren’t set out to be world record holders for the grandest light displays, it’s certainly fun to get into the holiday spirit. Still, there are a few considerations to make to avoid holiday light fails. Below are our top tips for making your light show the best and safest it can be.
From Fail to Fantastic: Holiday Lighting Tips
Light Count: Over-decorating can lead to shorts and disastrous consequences. Avoid stringing too many light strands together.
For adequate coverage, a good rule of thumb is 100 lights for every 1-1/2 feet of tree or shrub you want to cover. And, make sure your lights are waterproof or resistant/intended for outdoor use if you’re exposing them to the elements!
Most blown fuses are caused by moisture getting into the connectors that attach strings of lights to each other. Be sure to seal these with electrical tape.
Cords: Every decoration needs its own cord. Still, avoiding plugging too many things into the same outlet is important.
Be sure to keep cords out of walkways and ensure they are not pinched in a window or tangled. Also, make certain wires are not bent as they can easily shock individuals. It is important to never use indoor cords outdoors. Taking any of these risks can lead to an electrical fire.
Outlets: Your source of power should come from a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet. This type of outlet will shut the circuit down if there is over-current. To determine the maximum wattage for an outlet, check the number of amps on your breaker box. Multiply this number of amps by 120 and the result is the maximum wattage a circuit can handle. In older homes, however, more than one outlet might rely on the same circuit.
Save Energy: Did you know that an LED bulb uses about 1/10 the wattage of a traditional C9 bulb?
Now, Design: And finally, after these precautions have been put in place: have fun!
Sometimes less is more when done well. Did you put up a holiday light display this year? Share your photos with us via Facebook!
- Mvix digital signage boosts employee communication at Virginia Rehab Hospital - November 8, 2018
- The Beatles and Stern Pinball announce the first and only Beatles pinball machine ever made! - November 7, 2018
- The workplace of the future - November 7, 2018
- Video Walls Expand Vigilance in Control Centers - November 6, 2018
- Volkswagen, Mobileye and Champion Motors to invest in Israel and deploy first autonomous EV ride-hailing service - November 6, 2018
- Infovista launches 5G NR network planning and testing solutions - November 6, 2018
- Moen creates shower of the future with Elo - November 6, 2018
- Navori integrates with NEC Display Solutions for retail data analytics - November 6, 2018
- 8K displays… So what’s the buzz? - November 6, 2018
- Meridian Kiosks announces launch of newly redesigned website - November 2, 2018